kokkai

Remember a fella called Ling How Doong?
Monday, March 27

I live in Jurong West now, but I used to live in Bukit Gombak when I was younger. Everything was fine and I loved that area - I lived across the road from my school, there was a nice Little Guilin Park nearby that I could visit and feed bread to turtles, the mama shop had everything I wanted (I still remember the name - Ong Mah Kow Supply). Then this MP called Ling How Doong got elected and came into the area. How do you do Mr Ling How Doong?

I didn't bother much about this guy. Knowing nothing about politics, I thought he was an okay MP. But then one fine day he decided to come along and paint my block 511 orange and green. ORANGE AND GREEN! The colors were horrible! Ghastly! I didn't like telling people I lived in that block - how could I when my block looked like...a ghastly orange and green colored block? From then on I thought he was the worst MP I'd ever seen - no good MP will ever paint people's block orange and green!

Then the time for the next elections came and this nice PAP uncle called Ang Mong Seng came along and put this Ling How Doong nincompoop out of a job. I think his name is perfect for a mama shop - Ang Mong Seng Supply. Anyway, Ang Mong Seng came and repainted our blocks in nicer colors. Best MP ever.

I don't know who remembers it, but Ling How Doong was once famous for a "Don't talk cock!" reply to Chiam See Tong in Parliament. And when you look at it most of the opposition MPs have been famous in a way or another for their oddball, eccentric antics. We have Chee Soon Juan who found a spare loudhailer lying around somewhere and started shouting at Goh Chok Tong; JB Jeyaretnam with his book and super sideburns; Tan Lead Shake who was the slipper man and makes me think of a mechanical pencil.

Ling How Doong has signalled his intention to challenge for Bukit Panjang in the upcoming elections - good luck to him. What I'm hoping will happen is he or some other opposition MP coming up with some outlandish antic that we all can label nincompoopish! Makes the elections far more fun to watch.