kokkai

Wah Laos!
Tuesday, December 1

Sunset. Luang Prabang, Laos.

In scenic Luang Prabang palm trees line the banks of the Mekong River and motorcycles hardly go fast enough to injure anyone. There isn't much to do in this sleepy town besides lazing around, but that's the quiet charm about this UNESCO World Heritage site.

Every day at dawn locals line the streets and offer alms to monks. Luang Prabang, Laos.

Every day at dawn locals line the streets and offer alms to monks.

Cheeky little girl selling silk. Luang Prabang, Laos.

Cheeky little girl selling silk. Love her. Developed this shot and gave it to her the next evening.

Synchronized shopping. Luang Prabang, Laos.

Synchronized shopping.

Pak Ou Caves. Luang Prabang, Laos.

The Pak Ou Caves, about 2 hours by boat from Luang Prabang, contain Buddhist sculptures and statues collected over the centuries.

Kids playing by the Mekong River. Luang Prabang, Laos.

Kids playing by the Mekong River.

Sunset over the Mekong River. Luang Prabang, Laos.

Sunset over the Mekong River.

Kuang Si Waterfall. Luang Prabang, Laos.

A somewhat bizarre encounter happened one morning.

I was wandering around a temple one morning when this chirpy 20-year-old girl bounces out of nowhere and asks if she can tag along with me for a while.

Arriving in the middle on the night after an exhausting 24-hour coach ride from Kunming, China, she had just got rid of her guide (who couldn't really speak Mandarin), and wanted to "play with me". In the most innocent sense. She said she approached me because I was alone and looked "harmless".

Skeptical and guarded as I was I said ok, and we had breakfast back at my hotel. She then accompanied me in a tuk-tuk to the Kuang Si falls, where this pic was taken.

When we returned to town, she wrote me her phone number and email address on the back of a receipt and asked me to look her up if I ever visited Kunming. We parted ways after that. I didn't take a picture with her and I only know her name is Chen Simo.

Absolutely bizarre.

A few more photographs over at Flickr.

Labels: ,