kokkai

A Sign Of The Times
Saturday, August 23

I recently played this Japanese anime dating game. Hey, I know these games are dumb but I got it free so I tried it out to see it was about. To use another lousy excuse, Singapore's Prime Minister is putting in place more initiatives to encourage dating and more babies ultimately...

Anyway, there are 5 different girls, and you're the male lead in the story. You're a student at a college, you live life and interact with the 5 different girls, and hope to enter into relationship with one of them. Questions appear throughout the story, and who you eventually end up with depends on your answers to these questions.

As I was saying, there are 5 girls that you can aim to eventually date. You have:

  • the class belle, who's a klutz (shown in picture)
  • the class belle's best friend, who has lesbian tendencies
  • your loud boisterous cousin (!), who you live with
  • the young history teacher, sister of the class belle
  • a senior who wears glasses at your school
Naturally, being a Japanese anime game, all the girls look fantastic, with elaborate hair, big eyes, perfect curves all that. Each girl has their own storyline. The storylines, or more specifically the girls, are all so sugary sweet that I'm not surprised if someone ends up with diabetes after playing the game.

So I went through the game. Click, click, click. And on and on. Going through daily life and answering questions. I generally tried to steer towards the class belle because she was the most...politically correct one? (Teacher? Lesbian? A relationship with your cousin eh? Isn't that akin to incest?)

Guess which girl I got into a relationship with at the end of the game?

None.

Yeah, NONE!

My game ended abruptly, saying the year passed without getting to know anyone better. My character ended up spending time with a guy friend at the end.

A sign of the times maybe?

***

Irritated at being such a failure, I Googled for some cheats. Going through the cheats, which were essentially the answers you were supposed to pick to end up with each girl, I can't believe how the guy is supposed to answer in the game. You mean you're supposed to wait for the girl to buy you chocolates on Valentine's Day? You're expected to be some lazy turd and wait for the girl to take initiative and do everything? What?!

Stupid Japanese game. Probably written by some lonely geek. Probably explains why they have one of the lowest birth rates in the world.

It still makes you wonder though, especially when you're not in a relationship - should you actually NOT be buying chocolates on Valentine's Day? Is that what they're teaching single desperate men at the SDU?

I still can't believe I ended up with none of the girls. Even in a stupid game!